Anger over latest death at ‘suicide bridge’
30 June, 2017 — By Emily Finch
TOWN Hall leader Richard Watts last night (Thursday) slammed transport chiefs for failing to install anti-suicide measures after a man fell to his death at Archway Bridge.
Emergency services were called to the scene shortly before 3.30pm yesterday (Thursday) and Archway Road was closed for several hours.
Councillor Watts told last night’s full council meeting at the Town Hall he was “very, very angry” to hear there had been another death.
Residents have campaigned for more than 12 years to get anti-suicide measures placed on the bridge which is a known suicide spot.
Mr Watts said Transport for London (TfL) were “frankly shambolic in their efforts to get in these anti-suicide measures” and expressed sympathy for the man’s family.
Last year Islington and Haringey councils approved TfL-led plans to erect a three-metre fence to stop people jumping from the bridge.
But planners went back to the drawing board after designs tested on the bridge were found to be unsuitable.
Final design plans were resubmitted to planners earlier this month.