Anger over weekend drinks at Nag’s Head food market
Neighbours ‘absolutely livid’ at go-ahead for events
21 June, 2019 — By Emily Finch
Nag’s Head market in Seven Sisters Road
PEOPLE living near a proposed food market are “absolutely livid” after the market’s owners were given temporary events licences for the space – despite the Town Hall previously rejecting an application for an alcohol licence.
The owners of Upper Place food market – located in a renovated space on the first floor of Nag’s Head market in Seven Sisters Road – were awarded a series of temporary events notices by the council that will allow them to serve food and alcohol for five weekends. The first event notice began yesterday (Thursday).
Councillor Gary Heather, who lives nearby, told the Tribune: “We are absolutely livid. It makes my mind boggle and residents are getting worried. There may well be protests.”
The notices can be awarded to venues to hold events for fewer than 500 people, even if an alcohol licence has previously been rejected by the council.
A licensing committee chaired by Councillor Gary Poole rejected the market’s application for an alcohol licence in February following objections from residents worried about the increase in public nuisance a new market might bring.
Residents even submitted a petition with just over 200 signatures opposing the licence. The licence bid was rejected because of concern over public safety and the prevention of public nuisance.
Market owner Satpal Sethi is now not only appealing the council’s decision but has submitted a second alcohol licence application, to be heard in August. The new application is for alcohol to be served until 10pm, not 12.30am as originally proposed.
Ann Devine, who lives in Hertslet Road, which leads onto the entrance of the market, said: “We, as residents, are unanimously opposed to these temporary licences because of the nuisance they will cause. It’s madness, utter madness. We are worried about drivers going up our road to make daily deliveries to the market.”
The planned market has been mired in controversy in recent weeks after its retrospective planning application for storage containers, a ventilation flue, a steel external staircase and an access door was rejected by council planners last Thursday. The application brought 11 objections from neighbours, who included two councillors.
Council planners rejected the containers because they “fail to positively respond to existing buildings, the streetscape and the wider area” while the staircase and extraction flue were rejected because “it would not positively contribute to the character of the area”.
Mr Sethi has told the Tribune that his new market is only “for people with families” and that “we are not here to make residents’ lives difficult”.
The market owners could not be reached for comment by the time of going to press.