IslingtonTribune

The independent London newspaper

Candle blamed for 2am blaze at Holloway flat

16 March, 2018 — By Samantha Booth

Scene of the blaze in Holloway. Picture: London Fire Brigade

A WARNING has been issued by London Fire Brigade after a candle started a blaze at a Holloway home.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to a house conversion in Ashley Road in the early hours of Monday.

One man had left the property before the brigade arrived just after 2.30am.

Half of a third-floor flat and a loft conversion were damaged by the fire, brought under control by 3.40am.

The brigade’s fire investigators believe the fire was caused by a candle setting light to nearby clothing.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Fortunately, there were no injuries resulting from this fire, but the flat was damaged.

“Candles are one of the most common causes of fires so it’s really important you never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that can easily catch fire.”

Share this story

Post a comment

,