Islington council apology after man who attacked teen moves in nearby
Woman feeling ‘physically sick’ as daughter’s assailant appears on her street
17 August, 2020 — By Calum Fraser
THE council has apologised to a mother after they moved a man convicted of sexually assaulting her daughter into a flat close to her new home.
A review is now under way into how the man in his 30s, who was convicted of assaulting a 15-year-old, came to be placed in a property so near to his victim.
He had been given a suspended sentence and put on the sex offenders register after a court case last year.
The court issued a restraining order that prevented him from being in the area in the north of the borough where he had previously lived and close to the teenager he had attacked.
But the mother, a born and bred Islington woman, first contacted the Tribune last Wednesday in tears saying that she had just seen the attacker walk past her new home in the south of the borough.
She said: “It left me feeling physically sick. I am disgusted, really disgusted.
“How could they do this? I was shaking.
“I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw him. It was like I was reliving it, but it is even worse this time. It has ruined my life.”
The council had moved the man into a flat close to the one she had moved to.
The restraining order did not apply to the area the mother now lives in and so he had not broken the rules.
She said she contacted the police and the council but “nobody responded”.
After the Tribune enquired about the incident, however, the police, the council and the probation service began taking action.
A Met Police spokesman and a Ministry of Justice spokesman said it was not their responsibility to house the suspect after the court case, and neither provided comment on the case.
The mother-of-two was contacted on Friday by the council and told that the man had been moved.
She said: “I am still so angry. I am the one who should be moved. I don’t feel safe here anymore.
“I’m going out of my head, I just don’t know what to do. He knows where I live.”
A council spokesperson said: “We have taken immediate action to address this situation.
“All agencies involved – the council, probation and police – are conducting an urgent review into what went wrong in this case, and to make sure all agencies urgently act on the lessons learned.
“We are extremely sorry the family was put in this situation.”