Councillor accused of harassment: ‘I’m innocent’
Claudia Webbe releases statement insisting she will defend herself ‘against these claims’
02 October, 2020
AN MP and Islington councillor says she will “vigorously” defend herself after being accused of harassment.
Claudia Webbe is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on November 11 after it was announced she had been charged with harassment against one woman.
She said in a statement: “I am innocent of any wrongdoing and look forward to proving this in court. I will be vigorously defending myself against these claims.”
Cllr Webbe is the MP for Leicester East. She has been an Islington councillor since 2010 with the Covid pandemic preventing a by-election for her Bunhill seat since her parliamentary win last year.
She is also a former chairwoman of the Operation Trident Independent Advisory Group, a community-led initiative created in the mid-1990s to tackle the disproportionate effects of gun violence on black communities.