The independent London newspaper

Doris Garizio marks ‘the end of an era’

19 April, 2019 — By Helen Chapman

Doris Garizio in 2012

SHE would chat and “put the world to rights” with people from all walks of life – from strangers at the bus stop to those at her local M&S in the Angel – but loved nothing more than spending time with her friends and family.

Doris Garizio, or Nanny Doll as she was known to her grandchildren, died on March 22, aged 95 and a half.

Her husband of almost 70 years, Tone Garizio, died two years ago.

He and Doris were regular Saturday night visitors to their daughter Gill’s pub, The Globe In Morning Lane, in Hackney, where they would sit at their reserved table at the window chatting with family and friends until the early hours of the morning.

When the smoking ban was introduced, Doris, with a crystal glass of brandy in her hand, would nip outside wrapped up against the cold for the occasional cigarette break to chat with her friends.

Gill said: “Mum knew more people outside the pub than inside and there they would all put the world to rights.

“The resident band’s drummer at the pub, John Dylan, would join her for a smoke and he would laugh and say Doris was the best smoking psychiatrist he ever had.”

Doris’s daughter Tonia said: “Mum did not live an extraordinary life but she and Tone, like countless others of their age, were born into a generation of tough, resilient, strong-willed, strong-minded and determined people who had the strength of character to simply get on with whatever life threw at them, good or bad, in truly austere times.]

“Her GP, among others, said to me ‘it’s the end of an era I’m afraid, they simply don’t make people like Doris anymore.’”

Doris, a waitress and Tone, a chef, met at a restaurant in Mayfair in 1945 after he returned from the Second World War. Tone had spent time as a prisoner of war and had been forced to work on the Burma railway.

The couple were married at St James’s Church, Prebend Street, in 1948.

Both Doris and Tone dedicated their lives to their daughters and were always there when the girls came home from school.

“We always had mum and dad indoors who we knew loved us unconditionally,” said Gill and Tonia. “They were always there for us and made us feel safe and secure and they continued to be there while we were growing up for anything and everything.”]

When the school years were over, Doris worked as an accounts clerk at the Prudential Insurance Company in Holborn for over 20 years before retiring in 1983.

Doris died peacefully after a short illness at the Whittington Hospital.

Gill and Tonia said: “The staff were absolutely fantastic, so dedicated to their profession and so full of compassion. Mum could not have gotten better care anywhere.”

Doris leaves behind her daughters Gill and Tonia, her grandchildren Johanna and Stephen and her great-grandchildren Charlie, 19, Tommy, 16, Ruby-Doll, 13 and Tallulah, 10.


Share this story

Post a comment