Grieving family of man stabbed to death in Old Street call for ‘end to knife crime’
Police have named the 20-year-old man as Steve Frank Narvaez-Arias
05 January, 2018 — By Samantha Booth
Steve Frank Narvaez-Arias
THE family of a 20-year-old man stabbed to death in Islington at a New Year’s Eve party say they “pray” his death “brings knife crime to an end”.
Detectives investigating his murder named the young man as Steve Frank Narvaez-Arias, from south London.
Emergency services were called to Bartholomew Court, near Old Street, at 2.35am on New Year’s Day and two men were found with stab wounds.
About an hour later, Mr Narvaez-Arias was pronounced dead at the scene.
The second man, also aged 20, was taken to hospital where he remains in a critical but stable condition.
Mr Narvaez-Arias was one of four men killed through London’s New Year’s Eve, taking last year’s death toll from knife crime in the capital to 80.
In a statement, the family of Mr Narvaez-Arias said: “Someone has taken away our only beautiful son and brother without thinking about the pain and sadness that it has caused our family and friends, especially his two-year-old sister and two older sisters aged 15 and 16, they all loved him unconditionally.
“We pray to God that Steve’s death brings knife crime to an end.”
A fundraiser launched to pay for Mr Narvaez-Arias’ funeral reached its £5,000 target in just two days.
Police at the estate
The JustGiving page said he was an aspiring pilot who was “one step closer to achieving his dream” by studying Physics and Aerospace at the University of Hertfordshire.
It adds: “He was passionate about music as well as football. A young man who was loved amongst his family and peers and as the Ecuadorian young man he was, he was full of life and loved a great party.”
A post-mortem on Wednesday at Whittington Hospital gave a preliminary cause of death as “incised wounds” to his chest, the Metropolitan Police said.
Three men, including two teenagers, have since been arrested.
The first was a 19-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder at around 8pm on New Year’s Day. He has since been bailed to a date in late January.
An 18-year-old man was arrested yesterday (Thursday) in Hackney on suspicion of murder. He remains in police custody.
A 19-year-old man was also arrested yesterday (Thursday) on suspicion of murder and also remains in police custody.
DCI Andrew Packer, who is leading on the case, said: “I am appealing to anyone who attended the party to come forward and speak to police, I need to trace everyone who was present as they may be witnesses to this violent attack.”
Anyone who has information that could assist the investigation is asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3865 or tweet @MetCC.
Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or via their website www.crimestoppers.org.
• If you knew Mr Narvaez-Arias and wish to pay tribute to him through the Tribune, email email@example.com