The independent London newspaper

Firefighters save flat blaze woman

Fire believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in a toaster

12 January, 2018 — By Samantha Booth

The quick actions of fire crews ‘without doubt’ helped save the woman’s life at the Wilmington Square flat

FIRE crews rescued a woman from a flat in Clerkenwell during a blaze believed to have been caused by a toaster.

Two fire engines attended the fire at a terraced house converted into flats in Wilmington Square, at the junction with Yardley Street, on Sunday afternoon.

Fire Brigade watch manager James Cartwright said that “without doubt” the quick actions of fire crews helped saved the woman’s life.

Smoke alarms alerted a neighbour, who called emergency services.

“It was very lucky the neighbour heard the alarms and called us when they did – a few minutes later could have made the difference,” he said. “The crews worked really well and got the woman out quickly.”

The woman was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics before being taken to hospital.

A small part of a five-roomed flat on the lower-ground floor was damaged by the fire.

London Fire Brigade, which sent crews from Islington and Kentish Town, said the cause of the fire is believed to have been an electrical fault in a toaster.

Mr Cartwright said: “This fire should serve as a reminder of how important it is to have working smoke alarms throughout your home.”

Share this story

Post a comment