The independent London newspaper

Heart attack victim was found dead by partner

Mr Davis died suddenly from a heart attack caused by advanced heart disease

16 April, 2017 — By Koos Couvée

A GRIEVING man this week told a court of his shock when he found his partner dead in bed.

Philip Davis, 47, died suddenly at his home just off Caledonian Road on November 16 last year, an inquest heard on Tuesday.

A postmortem examination found he died from a heart attack caused by advanced heart disease.

Alfonso Chavez, who shared a home with Mr Davis on the Barnsbury estate, told St Pancras Coroner’s Court: “I came home from work. He was lying in bed, face down. I thought he was asleep.”

Fighting back tears, Mr Chavez added: “But then I realised his leg was bruised. I said: ‘Time to get up, Philip’ but then I thought: ‘Oh dear, he’s not responding.’

“I phoned the ambulance and they told me to move him to the floor, where I started doing CPR [resuscitation] on him.”

The court heard that paramedics arrived around 10 minutes later. The 47-year-old, who had not been in work at the time of his death, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mr Davis, who was experiencing constant back pain from an injury he sustained in 2014, suffered a burn on his chest from a hot water bottle he had been lying on when he suffered the heart attack. Police attended the scene but concluded the death was not suspicious.

Mr Chavez said he had spoken to Mr Davis over the phone the previous evening.

“He was fine, he was at home,” he told the court. “He was relaxed, watching movies.”

The court heard Mr Davis, who was born in Birkenhead on Merseyside, had a series of health problems that had led to problems with depression and anxiety. He was HIV positive, suffered from chronic lower back pain, a bladder problem and liver disease.

Reading from a psychiatrist’s report, assistant coroner Dr William Dolman said: “[Mr Davis] had recurrent depressive illness which was moderate to severe. He was frustrated with his symptoms [caused by the illnesses] and worried that he might not get better.”

A postmortem examination found that the left artery leading to Mr Davis’s heart was 75 per cent blocked, while the right one was narrowed by half.

The coroner concluded Mr Davis died of natural causes.

Share this story

Post a comment