IslingtonTribune

The independent London newspaper

Heated oil stain sparks Old Street laundry fire

12 April, 2019

A FIRE in a launderette was caused by oil spills on cloth that reheated in the tumble dryer, the London Fire Brigade said.

About 20 fire-fighters were called to a blaze in a launderette in Old Street.

A spokeswoman for the Brigade said: “These types of fires often involve textiles that become contaminated with oil, most commonly linseed, massage and cooking oil on tea towels, tablecloths and chef whites.

“Some­times when materials are cleaned, put in tumble dryers and then either left inside or taken out, folded and stacked, the residual oils in the textiles can self heat. This can result in the tempera­ture building up to a point where the material smoulders and eventually ignites.”

The Brigade were called at about 9.30pm last Friday and the fire was under control just over an hour later.

Categories

Share this story

Post a comment

,