IslingtonTribune

The independent London newspaper

Improved payout for Finsbury Park flood family

Family to get £5,000 following Tribune’s intervention

15 November, 2019 — By Calum Fraser

The scene of October’s flooding in Finsbury Park

A FAMILY who were left devastated when their home was submerged in filthy water by the Finsbury Park flood has received an improved compensation payout after the Tribune stepped in and demanded answers from Thames Water about their case.

Angela Moore, who works as a mid-mealtime supervisor in an Islington school, lived in one of the scores of homes that were flooded after a 36-inch main pipe burst in Queens Drive, Finsbury Park.

Her daughter Michelle raced back to the house in Kings Crescent on the day of the flood, October 8, and climbed through the window to help her mother stuff clothes, curtains and bedsheets into every crack in the house to prevent further damage.

Bags of soil that Mrs Moore’s husband had been due to use in the garden were thrown down as well.

To make matters worse, asbestos has been identified in her kitchen tiles. The council has had to slap down protective lining to contain it.

But Mrs Moore decided to continue living at her home, desperate not to hop from one hotel to the next living out of a bag while having to negotiate an unforgiving property market.

The flood water outside Mrs Moore’s home

As the Tribune previously reported, Thames Water has offered compensation packages for households that were affected by the flooding for the distress and inconvenience caused.

Some households could receive up to £5,000 but Mrs Moore was only offered £300.

She said: “I could not believe it when we were just given £300. There are four adults in this house so that’s £75 each. This house is ruined. I am not going to accept that money. It is insulting.

“It feels like we are being punished for not leaving our home when we have probably saved Thames Water money in hotel and meal bills.”

But after the Tribune stepped in and made contact with Thames Water, Mrs Moore was contacted and offered £5,000.

She said: “Thank you for getting onto them. It feels a bit like we were an afterthought but at least we’re being treated a bit more equal now.”

Mrs Moore still has to deal with a house that is piled high with boxes of ruined possessions, an uninhabitable living room and endless insurance claims and inventories – not to mention the asbestos.

A letter was delivered this week by Hackney Council informing Mrs Moore that “asbestos work” will be carried out and that she should remove some protective flooring that had been put down in the kitchen to “allow the floor to dry out”.

Stuart Smith, Thames Water’s head of customer operations, said: “As our way of saying sorry for the distress this major burst has caused, we’re paying £5,000 to those who have had to move out of their home. This is on top of any payment due for damage to property and belongings.

“We’ve also agreed to pay this to anyone whose house was severely damaged but chose to remain living there. We’ve now arranged payment with everyone in these circumstances we’re aware of and are working to establish if anyone else is in this situation.”

Share this story

Post a comment

,