IslingtonTribune

The independent London newspaper

Incense stick sparks fire inside flat

17 November, 2017

MORE than 30 people fled from a Highbury building after an incense stick sparked a fire.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers were called to the fire at Highbury Grove Court on Friday.

Part of a two-roomed flat on the fourth floor of the five-storey building was damaged by the blaze.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles, incense and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire in the home. It’s really important that you never leave them unattended and keep them away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can easily catch fire.”

The brigade was called at 6.10pm and the fire was under control by 7.30pm. Crews from Islington, Holloway, Shoreditch and Stoke Newington fire stations were at the scene.

Earlier that day, firefighters put out a blaze in Compton Road, Canonbury. Part of the first floor of the end-of-terraced property and a small part of the second floor were damaged.

One person had left the property before the arrival the brigade arrived and there were no reports of any injuries.

Share this story

Post a comment

,