The independent London newspaper

Coroner to investigate whether authorities failed stabbed scientist Jeroen Ensink

Inquest into death of Dutchman killed outside his Tufnell Park home widens

14 April, 2017 — By Koos Couvée

Dr Jeroen Ensink with his wife, Nadja

A CORONER with a reputation of holding authorities to account over preventable deaths has dramatically widened the investigation into the killing of a Dutch scientist by a psychotic man.

Dr Jeroen Ensink, 41, was stabbed to death in a random attack outside his Tufnell Park home on December 29, 2015, by a student suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. Dr Ensink had gone out to post cards to inform friends and family of the birth of his daughter, Fleur, who was born 11 days earlier.

His widow, Nadja Ensink-Teich, wants to know how Femi Nandap, 23, was at liberty when he killed her husband, after it emerged that charges for assault of a police officer and knife possession against him were dropped six days before the killing.

She believes he should have been in jail or in a mental health unit after the incident seven months earlier, which occurred when Nandap was suffering a similar psychotic episode – and has accused the authorities of not sharing vital information about the Nigerian student’s mental state.

Nandap has been sentenced to indefinite detention in Broadmoor Hospital

An inquest into Dr Ensink’s death was scheduled last year after St Pancras coroner Mary Hassell approached Ms Ensink-Teich over whether she wanted to go through the process.

Now, the Tribune has learned that Ms Hassell has widened the scope of the inquest at the request of the victim’s widow.

Charlotte Haworth Hird, Ms Ensink-Teich’s solicitor, said: “Nadja wants a full and fearless inquiry into how Jeroen died, the role of state agencies in his death, and how their decisions may have contributed to his death. As a consequence, we have asked for an Article 2 investigation.”

Article 2 relates to the right to life under the European Convention on Human Rights. To bring about an Article 2 inquest, a coroner must agree that the death was potentially caused by failures sufficiently serious to breach the obligation of the state to protect life.

Ms Ensink-Teich added: “This is absolutely better than a normal inquest, which would not have uncovered enough.”

Charges against Nandap were dropped after the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) decided there was insufficient evidence. Questions remain around how he was allowed to travel to his native Nigeria – where he had a stint in a hospital and was treated for irrational talk and hallucinations – while out on bail.

Police were later provided with medical records but, according to Ms Ensink-Teich, these were not passed on to the CPS. It was later revealed that Nandap had responded well to anti-psychotic medi­ca­tion but had stopped taking it when he returned to Britain in October 2015. Despite this, he was granted bail.

The CPS has said the decision to drop charges against Nandap was wrong, but added that because the 23-year-old had been granted bail he would not have been prevented by his bail conditions from being where he killed Dr Ensink.

Nandap was sentenced to an indefinite hospital order in Broadmoor Hospital last October for killing the Dutch biologist.

The inquest into Dr Ensink’s death will be held later this year.


Share this story

Post a comment