The independent London newspaper

Islington gang clash left victim lying in a pool of blood

An “affiliate” of the Cally gang, named after Caledonian Road, entered into territory held by rivals Easy Cash, who are prominent in Clerkenwell.

05 July, 2019 — By Emily Finch

Blackfriars Crown Court where the case is being heard

A MAN was left lying in front of a restaurant surrounded by blood after being stabbed in the buttocks when two rival gangs clashed, a court has heard.

Christopher Moran, 21, an “affiliate” of the Cally gang, named after Caledonian Road, entered into territory held by rivals Easy Cash, who are prominent in Clerkenwell, on October 16 last year, a jury at Blackfriars Crown Court heard on Wednesday.

Mr Moran, alongside David Liwala, 22, and a third accused who cannot be named because of his age, are on trial accused of violent disorder.

Mr Moran changed his plea to guilty on a charge of possessing a knife on Wednesday.

A fourth man, Michael Dyra, has pleaded guilty to violent disorder and possessing a knife in relation to the incident.

Prosecutor John Traversi described how Mr Moran was a pillion passenger on an unplated moped pursuing someone on a pushbike “with violent intent” in St John Street just before 10.30pm.
He said: “During this incident Christopher Moran was armed with a knife.”

Mr Traversi said this pursuit resulted in “retaliatory action” from a group including Mr Liwala, who denies he was a member of a gang, and the third accused.

“He [Mr Moran] was confronted by Michael Dyra, who had a large knife and who tried to stab him,” Mr Traversi said. He added that Mr Moran had used a knife in the confrontation.

Witness James Wilson, who gave evidence from behind a curtain, said workers from a restaurant at the junction of St John Street and Rosebery Avenue rushed to help the injured man.

“There was a man lying outside the entrance [of the restaurant] and blood splatters and pooling around him,” he said.

Mr Traversi said the man, Mr Moran, suffered a “stab wound to the left buttock” and “two similar wounds to the right buttock” with a deep cut to his hands.

Mr Wilson described hearing a male voice cry: “Don’t let them get away” after he heard a commotion coming from Spencer Street before he saw the injured man.
A group “enclosed” around one man, he said. “There was a shout that

someone had been stabbed and then someone went into the middle of the road, slowing traffic to get attention,” he added.

The court was shown CCTV footage which Mr Traversi said showed Mr Moran pursuing someone on a bicycle and then being chased by around 10 to 15 people shortly afterwards.

The case continues.

Share this story

Post a comment