IslingtonTribune

The independent London newspaper

Islington mum: ‘I’m still living in fear of my son’s murderers’

Two years on, mother of stabbing victim says she does not feel safe from gang

02 August, 2019 — By Emily Finch

Nashon Esbrand was stabbed to death in 2017 after being chased down Essex Road

A MOTHER whose son was brutally stabbed to death just yards from her doorstep says she is still “living in fear” on the two-year anniversary of her son’s murder.

Nashon Esbrand, 27, was hunted down and cornered by members of the “Cally Boyz” gang, named after the Caledonian Road, on pushbikes just minutes after he said goodbye to his newborn baby on August 24, 2017.

He ran down Essex Road desperately trying to escape from the five youths before one of them fatally stabbed him in the leg as he tried to reach his mother’s house.

Nashon was not in a gang but one of its members bore a “grudge” against him.

“I shouldn’t have to be leaving my house scared,” said Princess Barton, Nashon’s mother, this week.

“When I’m walking on the street and see any young people I have to cross over. I don’t feel safe in Islington after what happened to Nashon. It’s how I live day by day. I’m fearful every time I’m in my home on my own. I am scared of this gang,” she said.

Four youths were found guilty of murdering Nashon during two ­separate trials at the Old Bailey.

A second trial had to take place after Jack Stevens, the individual the prosecution said orchestrated the attack, had to be extradited from the Costa Del Sol in Spain to face trial. He was sentenced in March this year to spend a minimum of 23 years in prison.

One youth who chased Nashon has never been identified by police through CCTV footage.

Nashon on Ms Barton’s wedding day

The Tribune can reveal that members of the Cally Boyz gang have released a flashy new music video on YouTube filmed in Caledonian Road calling for Stevens, along with other gang members, to be released from prison.

The video was uploaded last week and has been viewed just under 20,000 times.

Ms Barton and her family were present at every day of the two trials, which she says “traumatised” her.

The court was repeatedly shown footage of the moment Nashon was stabbed by a large knife which was taken on a witnesses’s phone while the Rambo-style knife was passed around the jury as evidence in court.

Reflecting two years on from her son’s murder, Ms Barton says she is still “full of regret”.

“He was a quiet boy who really cared about me, took me shopping and helped elderly neighbours too. His dying words were, ‘Please don’t let my mum see me’. It haunts me because I hear him say it. I just wanted to hold him because I’m always there to protect him. I was outside and was blocked from getting inside to hold him. This haunts me every day,” she said.

She is still “waiting for answers” from the Met Police after it was revealed that Nashon made numerous crime reports to them in the two years before his murder to tell them he was being targeted.

A misconduct investigation by Islington Police, which ended in March, found they had “no case to answer” but Ms Barton is currently contesting this through a solicitor.

“I feel so let down by them. In the same way my son called the police and got no help, what if I don’t get any help if I call the police?” she said.

“I have to pay towards the legal aid, which is £140 a month, which is a lot of money.

“I’m still paying off the cost of Nashon’s funeral. The government really doesn’t help you like they should do,” she added.

Ms Barton recently had to travel to Canada to see her brother who is seriously unwell with liver cirrhosis.

“He took Nashon’s death very badly and isn’t very well. I had to take a high-interest loan to go to Canada as I didn’t have any money left after paying for the funeral and the solicitors.

“We’re all still struggling as a family and it’s not getting easier as I thought it would even after two years,” she said.

Categories

Share this story

Post a comment

,