The independent London newspaper

Knife victim’s mother: ‘Who stabbed my little boy?’

Police issue fresh plea for witnesses in hunt for teen’s party killer

02 February, 2018 — By Emily Finch

Naima Farah in front of a painting, with tribute messages, honouring her son

A MOTHER who lost her “kindly” son to knife crime has told the ­Tribune how life will never be the same without him.

Naima Farah was speaking after a new plea for witnesses to the knife attack which killed 18-year-old Mahad Ali.

Police have released the only man previously charged with the murder and are now searching for new leads to solve the case.

Mahad, a former pupil at Highbury Grove, was stabbed following a post-Eid celebration party in Acton, west London, in June last year.

More than six months on from the party in Coronation Road, known as “West Wednesday”, Ms Farah said she is still waiting for the perpetrator to be brought to justice.

“It was meant to be a celebration party,” she added. “I received a call from my sister saying Mahad had been stabbed by someone. I knew straight away he had passed away. I could feel it in my body. My little son was crying, saying: ‘Don’t say that’, but I knew it. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Mahad Ali, ‘dreamed of being a businessman’

Detectives this week released images of three people they want to trace and have called for anyone at the party to come forward to give evidence.

Charity Crimestoppers announced a £10,000 reward for information which leads to a conviction.

Speaking to the Tribune from the home where she brought up Mahad and his two brothers, Ms Farah remembered her loving son.

“He dreamed of being a businessman but he was a mummy’s boy,” she said.

“He would help me with the shopping, clean the home. He was a kindly person, my son. When I went to sleep he would give me a kiss. When I went out he would give me a kiss,” said Ms Farah.

Mahad was well-known as a regular at Islington Boxing Club in Hazellville Road.

Police called to a warehouse party at 2.35am on June 29 last year found Mahad suffering from stab wounds.

Images released this week of three men police want to trace

He collapsed in the doorway and was taken to hospital by ambulance but died two hours later.

A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as stab wounds to the chest and abdomen. Detective Chief Inspector Luke Marks, who is leading the investigation into Mahad’s death, told the Tribune that there were around 200 party-goers at the pre-planned event.

He said: “There are a significant number of people at the party who haven’t yet come forward and we are keen to hear from as many people as possible. We want to reassure witnesses that we are primarily interested in investigating the murder. We are not interested in the other pockets of violence which took place at the event.

“We, as police, certainly have the ability to look after our witnesses so they have the confidence to come forward and we will look after them.”

He urged anyone who witnessed a person with bloodstains or injuries returning from the party to come forwards.

Two people were arrested on suspicion of murder and one on suspicion of violent disorder last year but all three have been released under investigation.

The case against a fourth man who had been charged with murder was discontinued last month.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has any information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8358 0200 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


Share this story

Post a comment