IslingtonTribune

The independent London newspaper

Man plucked from ledge at burning Archway flat

Firefighters in dramatic rescue at blaze believed to have been caused by a tea light

23 November, 2018

FIREFIGHTERS rescued a man from a window ledge when a blaze broke out at his flat above Archway Tavern.

Crews pitched a nine-metre ladder to the window and brought the man to safety shortly before 7am.

He was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service. A small area of the bedsit was damaged by fire.

Station manager Neil Guyett, who was at the scene in Navig­ator Square on Monday, said: “Firefighters’ fast actions when they arrived meant he was rescued quickly.

“We believe that the fire was caused by a tea light left un­attended. It’s really important you never leave them un­attended and keep them away from curtains and anything else which can easily catch fire.”

In August, the council’s planning committee rejected leaseholder Dr Imtiaz Sardar’s plans to convert the historic building into a nursery and a wine bar. The pub remains closed.

Share this story

Post a comment

,