The independent London newspaper

Plea to dad who’s been missing for 20 years

‘If he’s out there I just want to know what happened,’ says daughter

12 April, 2019 — By Emily Finch

Mustafa Mehmet Mustafa, aka Tony, was last seen by his niece on the night of September 25, 1999

THE daughter of a man who has been missing for 20 years has issued a heartfelt new appeal for information.

Toni Mehmet Mustafa, 25, who lives off Caledonian Road, said she was “desperate” to find out if her father was alive or dead after he disappeared without trace when she was aged just five.

Ms Mustafa told the Tribune this week: “If he’s out there, I just want to know. If he’s got a new life, so be it, but I want to know what happened.”

She said she was told “silly little stories” about her father, Mustafa Mehmet Mustafa, nicknamed Tony, while growing up. She was told he “loved his music and his guitar”.

“Everyone tells me he was a lovely man. No one ever told me he was a bad man. But he may have mixed with the wrong people,” said Ms Mustafa.

Ms Mustafa, a carer for her nan until her death last year, said: “Not knowing what happened to him is the worst. Even if he doesn’t want to know me, at least I would know he’s out there somewhere.”

Tony was last seen by his niece, Emine Emin, on the night of September 25, 1999. Ms Emin, who was 20 at the time, said she had been with Tony and his girlfriend at a pub in Southgate Road, Hoxton.

The pub has now been converted into flats, she said.

Mr Mustafa’s daughter Toni Mehmet Mustafa and niece Emine Emin

“The owner of the pub had a confrontation with them [Tony and his girlfriend]. It kicked off in the pub. My uncle was standing outside with his girlfriend. They were arguing. He smashed her car window.

“I saw the broken glass afterwards when I got in the car with him,” she said.

Tony, who would now be 57, gave Ms Emin a lift to a friend’s house in Kingsland High Street where she was living.

“The mood was quiet in the car. We knew he was missing when no one saw him the next day. He would always make an appearance when it came to his family. He would never stay away,” she said.

She has so far not been able to track her uncle’s girlfriend, who was with him on the night of his disappearance. “I can’t make sense of it all,” she said.

She called her uncle’s mobile phone a day after he dropped her off.

“An Irish lady answered, but I couldn’t make sense of what she was saying.

“When I was saying: ‘It’s my uncle’s phone’ she wasn’t saying anything sensible. I can’t remember exactly what she said now.

“My uncle loved Irish people. He was close to the Irish community. I thought he might be hidden in Ireland but I didn’t know what to think,” she added.]

Ms Emin said her uncle “was always smiling and joking”. “He really loved his kids and his music,” she added. “He was a painter and decorator who always put a lot of attention into the details.

“He was always well dressed.”

While holding back tears, Ms Emin said: “If anyone can give us information please come forward. It would put everyone at peace to find out what happened to him.”

Ms Emin said she has faced a brick wall with police, who have told her that the person who opened the initial missing person case has to contact them to find out the status of the investigation.

The Tribune has contacted missing person units at Islington and Hackney police.

We have been told by the Met that the “chances of getting anything are very slim” because the case “outdates modern systems and records”.


Share this story

Post a comment