The independent London newspaper

‘Police took days to tell me of my brother’s death’, inquest hears

‘Gentle violinist’ died in supported accommod­a­tion provided by homelessness charity, off Upper Street

02 March, 2018 — By Emily Finch

A POLICE officer offered flowers to the family of a “gentle violinist” after failing to tell them of his death until days after it happened, an inquest heard.

A charity also came under fire for allowing schizophrenia sufferer Adebayo Adediran, aged 40, to live in “squalor” as his mental health worsened.

Mr Adediran died in supported accommod­a­tion provided by homelessness charity St Mungo’s off Upper Street, Islington, last September, an inquest at St Pancras Coroner’s Court heard last Friday.

A report by a pathologist, read to the court, concluded that the cause of death could not be determined following a post-mortem examination. A high but usually non-lethal level of an anti-psychotic drug was found in his blood.

“We didn’t realise he had died until days afterwards,” said Mr Adediran’s sister, Abi Canapa-Anson, at the inquest.

A police officer and paramedics were called to Mr Adediran’s flat in Southwood Smith Street after he collapsed, but the family remained unaware of his death over a weekend.

“The police officer was very apologetic. He gave me flowers and said he was sorry,” said Ms Canapa-Anson.

Assistant coroner Sarah Burke told Mr Adediran’s family that it was “outside her scope” to censure police in this case.

She added that Ms Canapa-Anson would need to make a formal complaint to police.

Mr Adediran’s brother Peter, giving evidence at the inquest, hit out at his brother’s living conditions. “He was living in squalor,” he said.

Ms Canapa-Anson also criticised her brother’s accommodation at the hearing

“He immediately didn’t like it,” she said. “There wasn’t any duty of care. I am just so furious about it.” She said Mr Adediran was diagnosed with schizophrenia at the age of 24.

He was “traumatised and depressed” after their mother was murdered in Nigeria when he was a teenager.

Her brother, a former bartender and violinist, had lived independently most of his life but was moved into supported housing last year after being in hospital, she said.

On hearing the pathologist’s report, which did not offer a direct cause of death,

Ms Canapa-Anson said: “He must have died of something. He couldn’t have just died.”

The hearing date was adjourned until later in the year with further witnesses, including a pathologist, expected to give evidence.


Share this story

Post a comment