Regent’s canal development gets green light
'Very regrettably I think this evening we have run out of road'
28 July, 2020 — By Calum Fraser
THE redevelopment of Victorian warehouses and office blocks by Regent’s Canal have been approved despite objections from people living nearby.
The council had “run out of road”, as one committee member put it, as the Regent’s Wharf development in King’s Cross was approved on Tuesday night.
After previous rejections over the scale of the scheme, developers Regent’s Wharf Property Unit Trust brought revised plans back to committee.
Over several years there have been hundreds of objections to the development.
“This proposal is lipstick on a pig, it’s a paint job,” said Peer Hackman, an objecting resident speaking at the meeting, who said only “minute” or “cosmetic” changes had been offered.
The developers abandoned plans to use part of the ground floor for a restaurant or bar and had reduced the height of the scheme.
Labour councillor Paul Convery, who represents Caledonian Ward where many of the affected residents live, said: “We have come to that point where refusal will automatically take this decision out of our hands and throw it into the hands of another inspector who could be benign or not be. We might even end up moving to a worse outcome to what is on the table now.”
He added: “I have to say, very regrettably, I think this evening we have run out of road and I think a refusal would not be something that could be sustained I am afraid.”
The scheme was passed unanimously by the committee.
Development director Merrik Baggallay, speaking on behalf of the applicant, said: “The revised application takes account the comments made at previous planning committee.
“The changes we have made compliment the suggestions put forward originally by stakeholders and also this committee last month – meaning that much of the revised scheme you see before you today has been directly influenced by local stakeholder input.”