Robbery case closed by Islington police one day after New Orleans estate attack
Victim of terrifying crime: How could this happen?
05 January, 2018 — By Samantha Booth
Suzanne Moloney – ‘I thought I was going to be raped or be killed’
A WOMAN who thought she was going to die while being robbed on Boxing Day has expressed her frustration at how police closed the case just hours after the terrifying crime.
Suzanne Moloney, 41, was just about to exit the lift on the third floor on the New Orleans estate, Hornsey Rise, when a man wielding a rock pushed her back inside demanding money from her just after 7.30pm.
He rifled through her clothes, searching for cash, while she pleaded with him not to hurt her, telling him she had children.
The man, thought to be in his early-30s, managed to steal her phone, but dropped her bank card, before making off from the scene.
In shock, Ms Moloney then ran back to her home where her partner Alan Wright, 40, called the police, who visited that evening, took a statement and collected forensic evidence for testing.
However, just a day later, police sent a letter to her saying they had closed the case – leaving her disappointed and questioning how that could happen.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the case would reopen if new evidence came to light.
Ms Moloney, a qualified social worker who has lived on the estate for three years, said: “The robbery lasted for about 45 to 50 seconds but it felt a hell of a lot longer.
“I said to him ‘I have no money, take what you want, don’t hurt me I have got kids’.
“I did not scream as he had got a great big rock and I thought I was going to be raped or be killed.”
The letter dated December 27 from the Met said police had investigated the incident and because of insufficient evidence, closed the case.
It added: “We will continually review the information you have provided, as well as any additional evidence our officers have gathered.
“If we catch an offender at a later date, the investigation will be reopened and we will contact you.
“Every year we reopen thousands of investigations as the result of new lines of enquiry.”
Ms Moloney feels like the short investigation is due to a lack of police resources at the Met.
Last year, Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said there were “real-term” cuts to the Met’s funding by the government.
Ms Moloney says she has been suffering panic attacks since the attack.
She plans to continue raising her concerns about the case and police pressures with the Met as well as Islington North MP Jeremy Corbyn.
A Met spokesman said about the offence: “Officers attended, made local enquires and seized items that await forensic examination.
“The man is described as black, of east African appearance, aged in his early 30s and about 5ft 7ins tall. He was wearing a dark hoodie, dark baseball cap, dark jogging bottoms and had a dark rucksack. No CCTV footage opportunities have been discovered at present.”
Police are asking for witnesses to call 101 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at crimestoppers-uk.org