Savour a Bach-fest at the Barbican
14 June, 2018 — By Sebastian Taylor
Harpsichordist Jean Rondeau
A fabulous weekend of Bach music is coming up at the Barbican over the next few days. Curator of the Bach-fest is Sir John Eliot Gardiner, one of the world’s foremost authorities on the composer.
Gardiner is conducting his Monteverdi Choir and English Baroque Soloists in three concerts of four Bach cantatas on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings.
It’s nearly 20 years since Gardiner took the choir and soloists on their celebrated performances of all 198 Bach cantatas in more than 60 churches throughout Europe and the US. Now, their Barbican performance marks the start of a new tour performing selected Bach cantatas throughout Europe.
Other Bach Weekend performances include:
Saturday June 16
– 11am LSO St Luke’s: Bach violin sonatas/ Isabelle Faust.
– 3pm St Giles’ Cripplegate: Bach motets/ Solomon’s Knot Baroque Collective.
Sunday June 17
– 11am Milton Court: Goldberg Variations/ harpsichordist Jean Rondeau.
– 3pm Milton Court: Cello Suites/ Jean-Guilen Queyas.
• Full details of the June 15-17 Bach Weekend at www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2018/series/bach-weekend
Barbican booking office: 0845 120 7550