Sebastian Taylor’s music news: Christmas Carols; Jingle Bell Brass; Messiaen’s La Nativité du Seigneur; Helen Keating; Professor Longhair
13 December, 2018 — By Sebastian Taylor
Children are invited to join the Christmas Fairy for a gallop through favourite Christmas tunes at Lauderdale House, Highgate, on Thursday (December 20).
• Christmas Carol Singalong, Lauderdale House, Highgate Hill, N6, 5pm, free
FAMILY carols are being sung by the Highgate Choral Society and the New London Children’s Choir at St Michael’s, Highgate, this Saturday evening (December 15). Ronald Corps conducts.
• St Michael’s Highgate, South Grove, N6, 6pm, £10/under 18s £3, www.hcschoir.com
JINGLE BELL BRASS is performing bandleader Stan Kenton’s A Merry Christmas at Regent Hall, Oxford Street, this Friday lunchtime (December 14). The collection of festive favourites was brought together in the 1960s by composer/arranger Ralph Carmichael. Brass players from London’s West End and studio scenes are getting together to play this Christmas cracker of a concert.
• Regent Hall, 275 Oxford Street, 1pm, free
OLIVIER MESSIAEN’s wonderful organ piece La Nativité du Seigneur is being played in St Paul’s Cathedral this Sunday evening (December 16). It’s being performed by cathedral organist and assistant music director Simon Johnson.
• Paul’s Cathedral, 6pm, free
THERE’S a strong line-up of jazz musicians playing in singer Helen Keating’s annual Xmas Extra at Spice of Life, Soho, next Wednesday lunchtime (December 19). Playing with her are trumpeter Enrico Tomasso, trombonist Roy Williams, multi-sax-man Art Themen and pianist Alan Berry.
• Cambridge Circus, Soho, 12.30pm, £8, 020 7437 7013, www.spiceoflifesoho.com
Ronald CORP’s New London Children’s Choir is singing Britten’s A Ceremony of Carols and other pieces at Heath Street Baptist Church on Wednesday (December 19).
• Heath Street Baptist Church, Hampstead, 6.30pm, £10
THE centenary of New Orleans pianist Professor Longhair’s birth is being marked by a performance of his extraordinary music by pianist Dom Pipkin at Green Note Basement on Wednesday (December 19).
• Green Note, 106 Parkway, Camden Town, 8pm, £10, 020 7485 9899, www.greennote.co.uk