Sebastian Taylor’s music news: Tenor Toby Spence, sax and Denys Baptiste, Conway Hall young flautists, soprano Teresa De Roberto and violinist Anete Graudina
06 April, 2017 — By Sebastian Taylor
Toby Spence sings Britten and Tippett at Wigmore Hall
• Islington tenor Toby Spence has secured his place on the international stage as an artist of great refinement, blessed with deep feeling for poetic nuance and a voice capable of projecting bold dramatic contrasts. His programme at the Wigmore Hall this Saturday evening (April 8) involves the exploration of five major works by Britten, Tippett, Poulenc and Finzi, with pianist Julian Milford.
Wigmore Hall, 36 Wigmore Street, W1, 7.30pm, from £15, 020 7935 2141, www.wigmore-hall.org.uk
• Later works of saxophonist John Coltrane were some of the most emotional and spiritually charged music of the 20th century. They’re being re-arranged and presented in exciting new forms in The Late Trane played by a band led by saxophonist at Denys Baptiste at Kings Place this evening (April 7).
Kings Place, 90 York Way, N1, 8pm, from £9.50 online, 020 7520 1490, www.kingsplace.co.uk
• A workshop for budding young flautists aged between five and 10 is being held on Sunday afternoon (April 9) at Conway Hall, Red Lion Square, Holborn. Enthusiastic flautist Alena Lugovkina is exploring the instrument’s sounds and its special effects capabilities as she embarks on a musical journey through familiar and not-so-usual pieces.
Children’s workshop (suitable for ages 5-10), Conway Hall, 2 Red Lion Square, WC1, 2pm, £5, 020 7405 1818, www.conwayhall.org.uk
• Classical cross-over soprano Teresa De Roberto has been entertaining audiences with her big voice and bigger personality for more than 10 years. She’s at Lauderdale House, Highgate, on Sunday (April 9) singing operatic arias, songs from the show and a pop modicum, with pianist Evelina De Lain.
Lauderdale House, Highgate Hill, N6, 3.30pm, £12.50/cons £10. 020 8348 8716 , www.lauderdalehouse.co.uk
• Some lovely music is being played by violinist Anete Graudina at St Pancras Parish Church next Thursday lunchtime (April 13). Pieces include Bach’s violin concerto in A minor, Mendelssohn’s violin concerto in E minor and Schumann’s violin sonata in A minor.
St Pancras Parish Church, Euston Road, NW1, 1.15pm, free