IslingtonTribune

The independent London newspaper

Students escape basement blaze

06 April, 2018

STUDENTS were evacuated from accommodation in Clerkenwell after a fire broke out in the basement.

Six fire engines were called to St John Road on Wednesday when a fault with a mains supply cable started the blaze under the Liberty House student accommodation.

Engineers worked for about two hours to restore power to 926 customers in the area. UK Power Networks said that when a cable develops a fault it can sometimes produce heat. A small part of the room was damaged by the fire but no one was injured.

Liberty Living, which manages the property, confirmed “robust” fire protection systems performed correctly.

The fire was discovered when a member of staff heard an alarm and saw smoke in the basement. London Fire Brigade said the blaze showed how important it was to have working alarms.

Share this story

Post a comment

,