The independent London newspaper

Teen who stabbed police officers in head and neck in Liverpool Road tried for attemped murder

Alex Traykov called the police to a home in Liverpool Road using a fake name claiming there was a fight

08 April, 2019 — By Calum Fraser

Liverpool Road in Islington where the attack took place

A TEENAGER called police officers to a house in Islington before stabbing them in the head and neck with a “large kitchen knife”, the Old Bailey heard today.

Four police officers approached a darkened house in Liverpool Road, Angel, on October 6, last year, responding to a 999 call after a man had reported a fight in the area.

Alex Traykov, then 19, met the officers at the door hiding his right arm behind his back. He then “lunged out” with a knife bringing it “down on their heads.”

“He continued to rain down blow after blow upon them,” prosecuting barrister Duncan Atkinson QC said.

Traykov, who is now 20, is being tried for four counts of attempted murder and three counts of wounding with intent.

Mr Atkinson argued that Traykov’s “intention was to kill.”

He added: “The manner of the attack, raising the large knife with which he had selected to welcome the officers repeatedly above his and bringing it down forcefully against the police officers, and in particular against their heads, and pursuing the officers as they tried to evade his lethal offensive. All demonstrate that his intention was not just to hurt them badly.”

A female officer, Istarlin Said-Ali, was face-to-face with Traykov at the doorstep when the attack, which lasted less than a minute in total, begun.

She received a stab wound to her arm as she raised it to defend her face.

All four officers then ran away from Traykov down steps that led up to the house and they fell in a “heap on the floor” at the bottom, according to PC Ben Thompson, who gave evidence to the court.

PC Rafal Kedziora received a blow to the face and then another to the back of his neck as the officers retreated down the steps.

PC Launa Watkins then took out a Tazer, while lying on the ground in the street, and hit Traykov with it.

Traykov went “rigid” and screamed “out in pain” before falling to the ground, PC Thompson said.

At this point, PC Thompson got up from the ground, unsheathed his baton and ran towards Traykov and beat him several times until he managed to get handcuffs onto him.

Traykov is from Surrey but the house in Liverpool Road belonged to one of his friend’s.

He denies all counts of attempted murder and wounding with intent.

The trial continues.

Share this story

Post a comment