The independent London newspaper

Teenager ‘tried to kill cops he lured with 999-call’

Attempted murder accused ‘lunged out’ with knife after meeting police officers at door of Liverpool Road home, Old Bailey told

12 April, 2019 — By Calum Fraser

A TEENAGER alleged to have called police to a house in Angel before stabbing them in the head and neck was in the Old Bailey dock this week accused of attempted murder.

Four police officers approached a home in Liverpool Road, near the junction with Theberton Street, on October 6 last year, respond­ing to a 999-call after a man had reported a fight in the area.

Alex Traykov, then 19, met the officers at the door, hiding his right arm behind his back. He then “lunged out” with a knife bringing it “down on their heads”, the court was told.

“He continued to rain down blow after blow upon them,” prosecuting barrister Duncan Atkinson QC said.

Mr Traykov denies four counts of attempted murder and three counts of wounding with intent. Mr Atkinson argued that Mr Traykov’s “intention was to kill”. He added:

“The manner of the attack – raising the large knife, with which he had selected to welcome the officers, repeatedly above his head and bringing it down forcefully against the police officers, and in particular against their heads, and pursuing the officers as they tried to evade his lethal offensive – demonstrates that his intention was not just to hurt them badly.”

A female officer, Istarlin Said-Ali, came face-to-face with Mr Traykov at the doorstep when the attack, which lasted less than a minute, began, the court heard.

She received a stab wound to her arm as she raised it to defend her face, it is alleged.

All four officers then ran away from Mr Traykov and fell in a “heap on the floor” at the bottom of steps, according to PC Ben Thompson, who gave evidence to the court.

PC Rafal Kedziora received a blow to the face and another to the back of his neck as officers retreated down the steps, the court heard. PC Launa Watkins then took out a Taser, while lying on the ground in the street, and hit Mr Traykov with it.

Mr Traykov went “rigid” and screamed “out in pain” before falling to the ground, PC Thompson said. He got up from the ground, unsheathed his baton and ran towards Mr Traykov, beating him several times until he managed to get handcuffs onto him, the court heard.

Mr Traykov, who is now 20, claimed that on the night of October 6 he had been smoking cannabis in the park with friends before walking back to a house in Liverpool Road.

He then called police to the house as a “prank” on his friends, Mr Traykov said when examined by defence barrister Christopher Harding.

When the doorbell rang later Mr Traykov opened it, forgetting he had called police.

He said: “I remember seeing a group of police officers, waving flashlights at my face. I remember seeing them and looking at them and thinking: ‘What do I do?’.”

He added: “I was zoning out. My brain was going from thing to thing, not hearing anything that was going on outside.”

Mr Traykov said he “felt trapped” in the hallway. He claimed he was trying to push his way out and did not think about a knife he had in his hand – used when he was making crumpets earlier – until he had cut PC Kedziora’s face and saw the blood dripping down onto the officer’s shirt. The trial continues.


Share this story

Post a comment