IslingtonTribune

The independent London newspaper

Transport chief slams reduced rail service

Frequency of trains on Overground route will be cut from one every 15 minutes to two an hour

08 March, 2019 — By Calum Fraser

Cllr Claudia Webbe: ‘This latest episode in the saga of delays and mistakes that have beset this project is deeply disappointing’

ISLINGTON’S transport chief has criticised TfL over its decision to reduce the frequency of trains on an Overground route by half.

Cllr Claudia Webbe said she was “deeply disappointed” by Transport for London after it revealed plans to cut the Gospel Oak to Barking service from one train every 15 minutes to two an hour.

The changes will come into effect from March 18.

But TfL claim there will be a “similar level of capacity on the line” as the old Class 172 trains are replaced with Class 378s that can take about twice as many passengers. Commuters have become used to delays and cancellations on the line and had hoped new Class 710 trains, which can take about 700 passengers, would be introduced at the end of last year. But the Class 710s roll-out has been delayed.

Cllr Webbe said: “This latest episode in the saga of delays and mistakes that have beset this project is deeply disappointing.”

Jon Fox, TfL’s Director of Rail and Sponsored Services, said: “We are very sorry for the continuing delay to the introduction of the new fleet of electric trains on the Gospel Oak to Barking line and share our customers’ frustration.

“The manufacturer continues to solve software issues and we hope that driver training will start in earnest soon, which will bring us an important step closer to introducing the new trains.”

Categories

Share this story

Post a comment

,