The independent London newspaper

Upper Street murder: Stabbing victim named as Marcel Campbell

Police say they are searching for two men in connection with the attack

22 May, 2018 — By Samantha Booth

A forensic tent remained at the scene on Tuesday morning 

A MAN stabbed to death on busy Upper Street has been named locally as a Marcel Campbell from Tottenham.

Mr Campbell, 30, was attacked at about 6.30pm on Monday night as commuters and diners traveled on the road near the Town Hall.

Police and paramedics attended but Mr Campbell was pronounced dead at the scene.

No arrests have been made but police said they are hunting two male suspects in connection with the incident.

Officers at the scene on Monday night

Police were granted emergency section 60 stop and search powers across the whole of Islington until midday.

Witnesses reportedly described an assailant jumping from a white van with a knife before the attack near the Udderlicious ice cream parlour.

CCTV footage shows scared members of the public fleeing the scene and a man running away.

The Tribune understands police were initially investigating the incident as road rage, but that it is no longer thought to be the case.

The murder is the fourth fatal stabbing in five days in the capital. It is the third fatal stabbing in Islington this year.

It happened close to where Jonathan “JJ” McPhillips was stabbed outside the Town Hall in February 2017. He died in hospital days later. A man was charged in February this year with his murder.

Many residents were unable to get their homes on Monday night while a section of Upper Street and Barnsbury Street were closed.

Nearby St Mary’s Church opened its doors and offered shelter.


Reverend Simon Harvey said: “I’m horrified that once again our community has been rocked by a knife murder. We’ve seen too much of this. Too much anguish. Too many grieving hearts.”

Town Hall leader Richard Watts said: “Residents will understandably be appalled and shocked by such an explosion of violence in the midst of their community.

“I want to thank the emergency services and staff at St Mary’s who worked through the night to provide continued support for local residents.”

Police said the man’s next of kin have been informed and officers are awaiting formal identification.

*If you would like to pay tribute to Mr Campbell, please email

Share this story

Post a comment