IslingtonTribune

The independent London newspaper

Vape, don’t smoke, warn Brigade after fire at flat

03 August, 2018 — By Samantha Booth

The scene of the fire at the flat in Stroud Green Road

A “CARELESSLY” discarded cigarette may have started a blaze that destroyed a flat in Finsbury Park.

Smoke was seen billowing from a second-floor flat above Roosters Piri Piri in Stroud Green Road on Monday afternoon.

No one was injured in the fire.

The London Fire Brigade said the hard-wired smoking detector was found to be covered, so did not activate as quickly as it should have.

Fire investigators believe a bed ignited when smoking materials, such as a cigarette or match, were carelessly disposed of.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “We would rather people didn’t smoke at all but if they do, vaping is a safer option.

“If you do choose to smoke cigarettes, it is absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”

Categories

Share this story

Post a comment

,